NEW NEWS: PRESIDENT KIIR HAS –DR. RIEK HAS NOT — SIGNED THE ‘ADDISAGREEMENT’…!
‘GREY SMOKE’ AT LEAST: FORCED TO SIGN AT LAST…!
At last, at least, some peace has been signed for the people of South Sudan. The skeleton has been built but the flesh is to be put on it within 45 days before the 90-day pre-interim period. In the 27th Communique of the Assembly of IGAD Heads of State and Government held in Addis Ababa today, the following arrangement was made and signatures appended by President Salva Kiir and Dr. Riek Machar, head of the SPLM/SPLA (in Opposition or in rebellion). However, Dr. Riek refused to sign the agreement, except the COH matrix, citing excessive powers still being given to the president, among other grievances.
The latest news this evening from the papal sort of news vigil has ironically produced a mixture of White Smoke with some Black Soot from the palace chimney in Addis Ababa as follows:
1- Kiir signed COH (Cessation of Hostilities) Matrix.
2- Riek signed COH Matrix (UPDF to withdraw)
3- Kiir signed the Addis Ababa Peace Agreement Protocols,viz:
– Polticial Arrangement: Prime Minister without (but with his recommendations on some details to be discussed behind him)
– Federal System of Governance during Interim Period immediately.
– Transitional Government of National Unity to be formed within 90 days as the details be factored in with 45 days in Addis.
4- Riek refused to sign the Agreement siting numerous complaints.
5- All IGAD Heads of State and Government have signed all the documents (Presidents: Kenyatta and Museveni, Prime Minister Desalegn, Vice President of Sudan, Vice President of Djibouti and Prime Minister of Somalia, with IGAD’s Secretariat and Special Envoys to South Sudan Peace Process).
WHAT IS NEXT?
IGAD to issue a circular briefly on the next step tomorrow for a two-week short break before the final details are discussed within six a six weeks’ time begin from the return of the stakeholders.
However, much as the SPLM-iO are not happy with the document, the government team feels undercut by the direct signature of their boss, the President who seemed to have been convinced by his counterparts in the Assembly of the IGAD Heads of State and Government.
RECAP of the IGAD Agreement:
– President with one deputy
– Prime Minister without a deputy but to be endorsed by the President
– Federal system to be adopted.
– Transitional Government of National Unity (TGONU)
– Prime Minister not to run for election
– President open to or not to run for election
– 30 months of Transitional Government before elections
– 90 days of Pre-Interim Period (formation of TGONU)
– 45 days of negotiating the details of the signed agreement.
NB: Riek is yet to inform IGAD of his position, however, Article 13 of the 27th Communique spells out clearly that any boycotting party will not be considered in the system.
For a full details of this 27th Communique, not the Agreement Document, please, click this link for a PDF Copy….
PDF COPY OF IGAD 27TH COMMUNIQUE (AUGUST 25, 2014), ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA. downloaded_file-5(2)